A Panel Discussion on the Current Ant-Gay Legislation in the Michigan House and Senate, sponsored by the MSU COL Diversity Services Office, MSU COL Triangle Bar Association, MSU GLFSA (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Faculty, Staff, and Graduate Student Association), and The Alliance for Queer an Ally Students was held on November 15, 2011.

Four bills (HB 4770-4771, HB 5039, and HB 5040) that could impact the citizens of the state of Michigan and the ability for Michigan businesses and universities to attract and retain talent and promote economic growth will be highlighted. These four bills send a strong message that it is acceptable to discriminate against LGBTQ individuals. This informative and educational panel will explore the legal and economic arguments against the perils of the proposed legislation.

Melanie Jacobs, Professor, MSU College of Law moderated the panel.

Bart Feinbaum, Principle Counsel of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan discussed the business and economic impact that this legislation will have on the state and how it affects the insurance industry.

Attorney Jay Kaplan from the ACLU of Michigan outlined the current legislation and provided legal analysis.

Christy Mallory co-author of the recent report on Economic Motives for Adopting LGBT-Related Workplace Policies released by the Williams Institute addressed the economic impact of this legislation and the national trends regarding anti-gay legislation.

Nancy Costello, Co-Director of the Great Lakes First Amendment Law Clinic and Associate Clinical Professor of Law, Michigan State University College of Law presented information about how individuals and families will be affected by this legislation and the stressors placed on the LGBTQ community.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE VIDEO OF THE PANEL
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE STATE NEWS ARTICLE OF THE EVENT
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE RECAP OF THE PANEL BY DEAN HOWARTH IN HER WEEKLY ADDRESS (Starts at 2:40 min:sec time)
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE PRESS RELEASE FROM NOV 14
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE IS HATE A MICHIGAN VALUE PANEL POSTER

This entry was posted in Legislation and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Is HATE a Michigan Value? A Panel Discussion on the Current Ant-Gay Legislation in the Michigan House and Senate

1. Anonymous says:

Thanks for the amazing info. I find these posts have a lot of material. I can’t wait to get a chance to impliment all these great posts. Thank you very much.

2. Anonymous says:

I’ve been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.

3. Andrew J. Gephart says:

Great post however I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this topic? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Cheers!

4. Anonymous says:

Useful content and awesome design you got here! I want to thank you for sharing your solutions and taking the time into the stuff you publish! Sublime work!

5. Anonymous says:

I would like to express my gratitude for your kind-heartedness supporting folks that absolutely need help on your area of interest. Your real commitment to passing the solution up and down had become particularly informative and have regularly helped regular people like me to achieve their dreams. Your personal informative facts indicates much to me and a whole lot more to my mates. Thanks a ton; from each one of us.

6. Helen says:

hey hey!! this is a very nice website here and I just wanted to comment & say that you’ve done a great job here! Very nice choice of colors & layout, very easy on the eyes.. Nicely done!…

7. Anonymous says:

Have you given any consideration at all with translating your current site in to French? I know a several of translaters right here that will would help you do it for no cost if you wanna get in touch with me.

8. elatoeleropag says:

Hello! Just want to say thank you for this interesting article! =) Peace, Joy.